60 g (2 oz) 1/4 cup butter
1 tbsp olive oil
675 g (1 1/2 lb) potatoes, cubed
4 veal escalopes, weighing 175 g (6 oz) each
1 onion, cut into 8 wedges
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tbsp plain (all-purpose) flour
2 tbsp tomato puree (paste)
150 ml (1/4 pint) 2/3 cup red wine
300 ml (1/2 pint) 1 1/4 cups chicken stock
8 ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
25 g (1 oz) stoned (pitted) black olives, halved
2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
salt and pepper
fresh basil leaves, to garnish
1. Heat the butter and oil in a large frying pan (skillet). Add the potato cubes and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently, until they begin to brown.
2. Remove the potatoes from the pan (skillet) with a perforated spoon and set aside.
3. Place the veal in the frying pan (skillet) and cook for 2 - 3 minutes on each side until sealed. Remove from the pan and set aside.
4. Stir the onion and garlic into the pan (skillet) and cook for 2 - 3 minutes.
5. Add the flour and tomato puree (paste) and cook for 1 minute, stirring. Gradually blend in the red wine and chicken stock, stirring to make a smooth sauce.
6. Return the potatoes and veal to the pan (skillet). Stir in the tomatoes, olives and chopped basil and season with salt and pepper.
7. Transfer to a casserole dish and cook in a preheated oven, 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4, for 1 hour or until the potatoes and veal are cooked through. Garnish with basil leaves and serve.
130 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!