3 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, chopped
3 red (bell) peppers, deseeded and cut into strips
3 courgettes (zucchini), sliced
400 g (14 oz) can chopped tomatoes
3 tbsp sun-dried tomato paste
2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
225 g (8 oz) fresh pasta spirals
125 g (4 1/2 oz) 1 cup grated Gruyere (Swiss) cheese
salt and pepper
fresh basil sprigs, to garnish
1. Heat the oil in a heavy-based saucepan or flameproof casserole. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add the (bell) peppers and courgettes (zucchini) and fry for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add the tomatoes, sun-dried tomato paste, basil and seasoning, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil and add the pasta. Stir and bring back to the boil.
Reduce the heat slightly and cook, uncovered, for 3 minutes, or until just tender. Drain thoroughly and add to the vegetables. Toss gently to mix well.
4. Put the mixture into a shallow ovenproof dish and sprinkle over the cheese.
5. Cook under a preheated grill (broiler) for 5 minutes until the cheese is golden. Garnish with basil sprigs and serve.
Be careful not to overcook fresh pasta - it should be 'al dente' (retaining some 'bite'). It
takes only a few minutes to cook as it is still full of moisture.