2 1/4 cup (250 g) plain flour (All purpose)
1 1/4 cup (275 g) 10 oz butter
1 tsp salt
for the filling
2 roast partridges, each weighing approx. 600 g (l 1/4 lbs)
1 1/3 cup (100 g) button mushrooms
1 small bunch basil
300 g (11 oz) sausagemeat
1 tsp salt
125 ml (4 fl oz) 1/2 cup soured cream
1 pinch paprika
1 pinch ground ginger
flour for rolling out
1. Make short pastry using flour, butter, salt and egg, knead briefly, then put in refrigerator to keep cool until filling is ready.
2. To make the filling take partridge meat off bones, leaving breasts whole and chopping rest.
3. Peel shallots and cut into eighths. Trim and wipe mushrooms. Wash basil and remove thick stalks before finely chopping with partridge, shallots and mushrooms.
4. Combine this with sausagemeat, 1 egg, salt, soured cream, paprika and ginger; season very well.
5. Preheat oven to 200°c (400°F) Gas Mark 6.
6. Divide pastry in half and roll both pieces out on floured surface to form 15 cm x 30 cm/6 in x 12 in rectangles.
7. Spoon half of filling onto one pastry rectangle, lay breast pieces on top, cover with rest of filling and finish with second pastry rectangle. Firmly seal edges with water before brushing with beaten egg and cutting slits in lid.
8. Bake on bottom shelf of oven for 45 minutes.