Ask your butcher to bone the leg of lamb: it is essential to order in advance, especially at Easter time.
1.5 kg (3 - 3 1/2 lb) leg of lamb, boned
250 g (9 oz) sausagemeat
100 g (4 oz) shelled walnuts, finely chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
salt and freshly ground black pepper
fresh parsley, to garnish
1. Heat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
2. Put the sausagemeat in a bowl together with the walnuts, parsley, nutmeg and half the rosemary. Season to taste and mix well.
3. Pack the stuffing into the boned cavity of the lamb, then secure with a trussing needle and fine string or meat skewers.
4. Place the lamb, fat side up, on a rack in a roasting tin and sprinkle with the remaining rosemary and salt and pepper to taste. Cover with foil. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes, then lower the heat to 170C/325F/Gas 3 and roast for a further 1 1/2 hours. Remove the foil for the final 30 minutes.
5. Transfer to a serving platter, remove the string or skewers and serve, carved into slices and garnished with parsley.
9 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!