4 goose legs, each weighing 350 g (12 oz)
5 tbsp oil
2 tsp salt
750 ml (24 fl oz) 3 cups hot chicken stock
6 tbsp white wine vinegar
6 tbsp medium sherry
800 g (1 3/4 lbs) Brussels sprouts
1 large tart apple
2 tsp lemon juice
1 good pinch sugar
1 tbsp chopped parsley
1. Wash goose legs. Peel onion and cut into eighths. Scrape and chop carrot.
2. Heat 3 tbsp oil in a large pan. Brown legs over high heat, then sprinkle with 1 tsp salt before adding vegetables and continue to fry.
3. Pour in stock, vinegar and sherry, bring to the boil again and simmer goose for 40 minutes.
4. Remove legs from stock and cool. Strain stock and boil to reduce to 1 cup (8 fl oz) 250 ml.
5. Trim and wash Brussels sprouts, put in saucepan with 1 tsp salt and water to cover.
6. Boil for 20 minutes, then strain.
7. Peel, core and quarter apple, then thinly slice quarters. Combine lemon juice with remaining oil, sugar, parsley, reduced stock, Brussels sprouts and apple slices, mixing thoroughly.
8. Arrange on serving plates with goose drumsticks.