2 kg (4 1/2 lb) duck, defrosted if frozen
2 tablespoons clear honey
1 tablespoon hot water
2 heads chicory leaves, separated
1 bunch watercress, divided into
2 oranges, divided into segments
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon tarragon vinegar
1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
pinch of sugar
1/2 teaspoon French mustard
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat the oven to 180°C (350°F) Gas 4.
2. Pat the duck dry inside and out with absorbent paper. Prick the skin all over with a fork and sprinkle evenly with salt.
3. Place the duck breast side up, on a rack in a roasting tin. Roast in the oven for 1 hour, then drain off the fat from the tin. Blend the honey with the hot water and brush the duck all over with the mixture.
4. Return the honey duck to the oven and roast for a further 1 1/4 hours, basting 2 - 3 times to glaze and brown. Drain the duck over the tin, transfer to a plate and leave until completely cold (3-4 hours).
5. Divide the duck into 4. Arrange on a serving dish. Garnish with chicory leaves, watercress sprigs and orange segments.
6. Place ingredients for dressing in a screw-top jar, with salt and pepper to taste, and shake well together. Sprinkle over the salad just before serving.
17 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!