50 ml (2 fl oz) 1/4 cup Olive oil
2 kg (4 lb) Chicken, cut into 8 serving pieces
2 Medium onions, thinly sliced
1 Garlic cloves, crushed
1 Large red pepper, pith and seeds removed and chopped
425 g (14 oz) Canned artichoke hearts, drained
450 ml (15 fl oz) 2 cups Chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp Saffron threads, soaked in 1 Tbs water
16 Stuffed olives, halved
25 g (1 oz) 2 Tbs Beurre manie (one part butter and two parts flour blended)
1. Preheat the oven to moderate 180°C (Gas Mark 4, 35°°F).
2. Heat the oil in a large, deep frying-pan. Add the chicken pieces and fry until they are evenly browned. Using tongs, transfer the pieces, as they brown, to a large flameproof casserole.
3. Add the onions, garlic and pepper to the pan and fry until they are soft. Add the artichoke hearts and fry for a further 2 minutes. Pour over the stock and stir in the seasoning, cayenne and saffron mixture. Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally. Pour the mixture over the chicken pieces.
4. Put the casserole into the oven and cook for 1 hour, or until the chicken pieces are cooked through and tender. Remove from the oven and transfer the chicken pieces to a warmed serving dish. Keep hot while you finish the sauce.
5. Add the olives to the casserole and place over moderate heat. Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally. Stir in the beurre manie, a little at a time, until the sauce has thickened and is smooth.
6. Pour the sauce over the chicken pieces and serve at once.
3 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!