568 ml (1 pint) milk
1 tbsp (15 ml) rennet
4 oz (100 g) puff pastry
1 egg, beaten
1 tbsp (1/2 oz) butter, melted
1/4 cup (4 tbsp) 50 g caster sugar (superfine granulated)
1. Warm the milk in a pan over a low heat to 37°C (98°F).
2. Pour into a bowl and quickly stir in the rennet.
3. Leave at room temperature for 1 1/2 - 2 hours until set, then put the junket into a muslin bag and leave to drain overnight.
4. Chill the curd until very firm.
5. Roll out the pastry very thinly and with a 7.5-cm (3-inch) plain cutter, stamp out twelve rounds.
6. Line twelve deep 6.5-cm (2 1/2 -inch) patty tins with the pastry rounds and prick well with a fork.
7. Stir the egg, butter and sugar into the drained curd. Divide the mixture between the pastry cases.
8. Bake in the oven at 200°C (400°F) mark 6 for 30 minutes until well risen and just firm to the touch.
9. Serve, preferably whilst still warm.