450 g (1 lb) extra lean minced beef
1 egg, beaten
Freshly ground sea salt and black pepper
1 tbsp sunflower oil
3 small shallots, chopped
15 g (1/2 oz) wholemeal flour
450 g (1 lb) tinned pineapple chunks in natural juice
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp wine vinegar
1/2 green pepper, seeded and finely chopped
30 g (1 oz) blanched flaked almonds
1. Put the beef into a large bowl and mix in the egg and the seasoning.
2. Divide the beef mixture into 8, and roll into balls. Dust your hands lightly with flour, and flatten each ball slightly
3. Brush the meat balls with a little of the oil, and grill under a hot grill for 10 - 45 minutes, turning them once during cooking, to cook each side.
4. Heat the tablespoon of oil in a frying pan and fry the shallots gently for 3 minutes, until they are transparent, but not brown.
5. Stir the flour into the onions, and cook for about 1 minute.
6. Add the juices from the canned pineapple gradually to the flour mixture, stirring well between additions, until all the juice is incorporated and the sauce is smooth.
7. Add the soy sauce and vinegar, and season with salt and pepper.
8. Stir the pineapple chunks, green pepper and almonds into the sauce.
9. Add the cooked meatballs to the sauce and heat gently for about 10-15 minutes until they are warmed right through.