1. Peel garlic and chop finely. Wash chicken, cut into 8 pieces and dry.
2. Heat oil, brown chicken pieces together with garlic and bay leaves, then sprinkle with lemon juice.
3. Add wine, vinegar, salt and pepper to pan, cover and simmer on low heat for 40 minutes, turning chicken pieces several times.
4. Remove chicken from cooking liquid, turn up heat and reduce liquid rapidly, then cool.
5. Arrange chicken pieces on serving platter, spoon on the chilled, reduced cooking liquid and sprinkle with chopped tarragon.
6. Garnish with olives.