1 large onion, chopped
2 carrots, cut into 1 cm (1/2 inch) dice
1 small swede, cut into 1 cm (1/2 inch) dice
1/2 green pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon tomato puree
1 litre (1 3/4 pint)s beef stock
50 g (2 oz) red lentils
salt and freshly ground black pepper
175 g (6 oz) pork sausagemeat
25 g (1 oz) fresh white breadcrumbs
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary, or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 cooking apple
1 large potato, cut into 1 cm (1/2 inch) dice
snipped chives, to garnish
1. Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole. Add the onion, carrots, swede and green pepper and fry
gently for 3 minutes until the vegetables are soft but not coloured.
2. Stir in the tomato puree, stock and lentils, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Bring to the boil, then lower the heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes until the vegetables are just tender.
4. Meanwhile, put the sausagemeat, breadcrumbs and rosemary in a
bowl. Mix thoroughly with your hands, then shape into 12 small balls.
5. Peel and core the apple, then cut into 1 cm (1/2 inch) dice. Add to the soup with the potato and sausagemeat balls and simmer for a further 25 minutes until all the vegetables are tender.
6. Taste and adjust seasoning, then serve hot, sprinkled with chives.
7 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!