200 g (7 oz) 1 1/3 cups mixed dried fruit
1 kg (2 1/4 lbs) goose giblets (wings, neck, gizzard and heart)
1 cup (8 fl oz) 250 ml water
1 bay leaf
Soup vegetables, carrots, leeks, celeriac etc.
1/3 cup (75 g) butter
5 tbsp plain flour
2 tbsp cider vinegar
1 tbsp sugar
2 pinches black pepper
1. Cover dried fruit with water and soak for 12 hours.
2. Rinse goose giblets, bring to the boil in the water and skim off scum as it forms.
3. Peel the onion and spike the bay leaf into it with the cloves
4. Clean and rinse soup vegetables, add to pan with onion and a little salt.
5. Cover and cook for 1 hour over gentle heat until reduced by one-third.
6. After 30 minutes of the cooking time, add dried fruit, along with the water it was soaked in.
7. Strain stock and measure out 500 ml (16 fl oz) 2 cups.
8. Melt butter, brown flour in it, then gradually stir in stock and simmer for 10 minutes.
9. Season with vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper.
10. Add dried fruit and meaty pieces of goose to sauce and warm through.
11. Serve with bread dumplings.
9 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!
Also see categories;Stews