1. Chop bacon. Scrape and rinse carrots before slicing thinly. Peel onions, quarter them and cut in fine slices.
2. Cut cabbage into quarters, removing hard central core and any tough outer leaves. Rinse quarters and cut into thick slices.
3. Cut goose into 16 portions, wash and dry them.
4. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) Gas Mark 4.
5. Heat butter and bacon in a heavy-bottomed casserole. Brown goose portions thoroughly. Add onions and carrots and continue to fry for 10 more minutes.
6. Remove breast portions and put to one side.
7. Add red wine, sliced cabbage, salt and pepper, mix well and fry a few minutes longer.
8. Combine tomato puree/paste) and chicken stock, pour over vegetables and cover casserole before placing in middle of oven.
9. Cook for 1 1/2 hours, returning breast portions to the dish for the last 30 minutes.