This honey cake is traditional among all European Jews at New Year's. Honey cake has a bad habit of sticking to the pan, so grease and flour it well, or line it with nonstick baking paper.
3 tablespoons margarine, softened
4 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
1 cup sugar
1 cup honey
1 cup strong black coffee
3 cups sifted whole-wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 cup coarsely chopped blanched almonds
6 almonds, blanched and halved
2 teaspoons water
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Grease and flour a 9 x 12-inch cake pan or line it with nonstick paper.
3. Beat the margarine in a bowl with the whole eggs and the sugar. Stir in the honey and coffee, and blend well.
4. Sift the flour again with the baking powder, baking soda, and spices.
5. Fold the dry ingredients into the egg mixture and beat well. Lastly add the chopped almonds, and mix well.
6. Pour the mixture into the pan and arrange the almond halves in rows on top.
7. Lightly beat the egg yolk with the water and brush over the top of the cake.
8. Bake the cake for 1 hour, or until the almonds are lightly browned and cake springs back when pushed gently with your finger.
9. Cool cake completely in the pan before turning it out onto a wire rack.
5 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!