Molded into long torpedo shapes, the fish is served as an entree. But, however shaped, fried gefilte fish is always eaten cold.
2 pounds fish fillets
3 onions 2 carrots
1 small potato, grated and drained
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup fine matzo meal
2 cups oil for deep-frying
1. Put the fish, onions, carrots, 2 of the eggs, the grated potato, salt, and pepper into a food processor. Process until the mixture is well blended and sticks together.
2. Wet your hands and form mixture into torpedo-shaped fingers.
3. Break the remaining eggs into a shallow bowl and beat well.
4. Pour the matzo meal into another bowl.
5. Heat the oil in a deep-fryer until very hot, about 350°F. Dip the balls in the beaten egg and roll in the matzo meal, then drop in oil.
6. Fry until the coating turns deep golden brown, about 8 minutes.
7. Drain on absorbent paper and let cool. Serve cold.
1 person has helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!