1 duckling weighing 1.5 kg (3 1/2 lbs)
2 small onions
1 garlic clove
1 bunch each parsley and basil
2 tbsp small capers
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
2 pinches freshly ground black pepper
scant 1/2 (us) cup (100 ml) dry white wine
125 ml (4 fl oz) 1/2 cup chicken stock
2 duck livers
250 g (9 oz) green olives
1. Wash duck, dry thoroughly and cut into 8 pieces.
2. Peel onions and garlic. Wash and dry herbs. Finely chop onions, garlic, capers and herbs.
3. Heat oil in heavy-bottomed pan. Brown duck pieces on all sides, reduce heat and add chopped onions and seasonings. Continue to fry gently for 10 more minutes, then season with salt and pepper.
4. Pour in wine and allow to evaporate slowly over a low heat, stirring continuously. Then add stock, cover pan and simmer duck gently for about 1 hour.
5. Wash and dry livers, remove any fat or membrane, then chop finely. Add olives and chopped liver to duck shortly before end of cooking time. Simmer briefly, stirring well.
6. Serve with white bread and tomato salad.