This savory cheese pudding from Romania is served as an accompaniment to fish or pareve dishes, or as a dairy entree. This is a very good dish to bake in a microwave, in which case there is no need to butter the baking dish.
1/2 cake compressed yeast, or 1 package active dry yeast
3 1/2 cups lukewarm water
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups yellow cornmeal
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup pot or farmer cheese, drained
6 green onions, sliced
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1. In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in 1/2 cup lukewarm water, add half the sugar, and leave in a warm place for 20 minutes, or until foaming.
2. Add the flour to the yeast mixture and mix well. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for about 1 hour.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F.
4. Generously butter a 2 quart baking dish.
5. Add the cornmeal, salt, remaining sugar, and remaining 3 cups lukewarm water to the batter. Mix well; batter should be as thick as mayonnaise.
6. Mash the cheese with a fork until smooth, then stir in onions.
7. Pour half the batter into a prepared baking dish. Cover with the cheese mixture, then add rest of batter. Drizzle on melted butter.
8. Bake for 45 minutes or until firm and browned on top.
3 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!