1 roasting chicken weighing 1.2kg (2 1/2 lbs)
3 medium aubergines/eggplants), approx. 600 g (1 1/4 lb)
1 tsp salt
1 garlic clove
2 oz (50 g) streaky bacon
300 g (11 oz) ripe tomatoes
6 tbsp olive oil
1/3 cup (3 fl oz) 90 ml dry white wine
1/2 tsp oregano
2 pinches salt
1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
1 bunch parsley
1. Wash and chop aubergines (eggplants) unpeeled, sprinkle with salt and put aside to drain for 30 minutes.
2. Chop garlic and bacon.
3. Cut a cross in skin of tomatoes, immerse in boiling water, skin and chop.
4. Cut chicken into 8 pieces. Wash and dry both chicken and giblets.
5. Heat 3 tbsp oil in large, heavy bottomed pan with lid.
6. Brown chicken pieces thoroughly with chopped bacon and garlic.
7. Add wine and allow it to boil away.
8. Add tomatoes, oregano, salt and pepper, cover and cook on low heat for 25 minutes.
9. Rinse chopped aubergines (eggplants) and drain well.
10. Fry in remaining oil over high heat for 7 minutes, turning constantly. Add to chicken mixture.
11. Wash and dry parsley before chopping finely and sprinkling over dish just before serving.