3 large peppers, red, yellow and green
340 g (3/4 1b) lean minced beef
1 onion, finely chopped
60 g (2 oz) cooked brown rice
60 g (2 oz) raisins
30 g (1 oz) chopped walnuts
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsps brown sugar
2 tsps wine vinegar
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
450 g (1 lb) canned tomatoes
1 bay leaf
2 tsps chilli powder
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tbsp tomato puree
2 tbsps cornflour mixed with 2 tbsps water
Salt and pepper
1. Cut the peppers in half and remove the cores and seeds.
2. Place them in 1 layer in a shallow dish with 4 tbsps water. Cover loosely and cook for 4 minutes on HIGH. Leave to stand, covered, while preparing the filling.
3. Cook the beef for 5 - 6 minutes on MEDIUM in a casserole dish.
4. Add the onion and increase the setting to HIGH. Cook for another 4 - 6 minutes breaking the meat up with a fork frequently during cooking.
5. Stir in the rice, raisins, walnuts, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, vinegar and seasoning. Drain the peppers and fill with the meat mixture.
6. Combine all the sauce ingredients except the cornflour and water, in a glass measure. Cook for 12 minutes on HIGH, or until boiling.
7. Stir the cornflour and water into the sauce. Cook for a further 3 minutes, stirring frequently after 1 minute.
8. Allow to cool slightly, remove the bay leaf and puree the sauce. Strain it if desired and pour over the peppers in a serving dish. Reheat for 1 - 2 minutes on HIGH.
6 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!