225 g (8 oz) dried red kidney beans, soaked overnight
3 tbsps oil
2 medium onions, chopped
1 bay leaf
2.5 cm (1 inch) piece cinnamon stick
Seeds of 6 green cardamoms
2 green chillies, quartered
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2.5 cm (1 inch) piece fresh root ginger, grated
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
1 1/2 tsps ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp garam masala
425 g (15 oz) canned tomatoes, chopped
1/2 tsp salt
2 - 3 sprigs fresh coriander leaves, chopped
1. Cook the kidney beans, boiling them rapidly for 10 minutes and then simmering for at least 30 minutes, until they are soft. Remove from the heat and allow them to cool in the cooking liquid.
2. Heat the oil in a large saucepan and cook the onions, until they are soft. Add the bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves and cardamoms and fry for 1 minute.
3. Add the green chillies, garlic and ginger, and fry for about 30 seconds, before mixing in the ground spices and cooking for a further 30 seconds, stirring continuously, to prevent them burning.
4. Add the tomatoes and season with the salt.
5. Drain the beans and reserve the cooking liquid. Add the beans to the tomatoes and mix well, bring to the boil, then stir in 280 ml (1/2 pint) of the bean liquid.
6. Simmer for 10 minutes, then stir in the chopped coriander.
1 person has helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!