225 g (8 oz) lean beefsteak, cut into thin strips
1/2 tsp salt
4 tbsps vegetable oil
1 red and 1 green chilli, cut in half, seeded and sliced into strips
1 tsp vinegar
1 stick celery, cut into thin 5 cm (2 inch) strips
2 carrots, cut into thin 5 cm (2 inch) strips
1 leek, white part only, sliced into thin 5 cm (2 inch) strips
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp light soy sauce
1 tsp dark soy sauce
2 tsps Chinese wine, or dry sherry
1 tsp caster sugar
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1. Put the strips of beef into a large bowl and sprinkle with the salt. Rub the salt into the meat and allow to stand for 5 minutes.
2. Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large wok. When the oil begins to smoke, reduce the heat and stir in the beef and the chillies. Stir-fry for 4 - 5 minutes,
3. Add the remaining oil and continue stir-frying the beef, until it turns crispy
4. Add the vinegar and stir until it evaporates, then add the celery, carrots, leek and garlic. Stir-fry for
5. Mix together the soy sauces, wine or sherry, sugar and pepper. Pour this mixture over the beef and cook for 2 minutes.
2 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!