1/2 kg (1 lb) Small shelled shrimps
1 Tbs Rice wine or dry sherry
1 Egg white, lightly beaten
1 1/2 Tbs Cornflour (cornstarch)
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tsp Ground ginger
50 ml (2 fl oz) 1/4 cup Vegetable oil
125 g (4 oz) 1 cup Unsalted cashew nuts
piece Fresh root ginger, peeled 5 cm (2 in) and finely chopped
4 Spring onions (scallions), finely chopped
75 g (3 oz) Canned bamboo shoot, drained and finely chopped
1. Put the shrimps into a shallow bowl. Combine half the wine or sherry, the egg white, 1 tablespoon of cornflour (cornstarch), seasoning and ground ginger until the mixture forms a smooth batter. Pour the batter over the shrimps and toss gently to coat them thoroughly. Set aside to marinate for 30 minutes*.
2. Heat the oil in a large, deep frying-pan. Add the cashews and fry, turning occasionally, for 5 minutes or until they are deep golden. Push them to the side of the pan and add the shrimps. Stir-fry for 3 minutes or until they are crisp.
3. Stir in the remaining ingredients except the remaining wine or sherry and cornflour (cornstarch). Stir-fry for 2 minutes.
4. Stir in the remaining wine or sherry and cornflour (cornstarch) and stir the cashews back into the shrimp mixture. Cook until the sauce thickens and becomes translucent.
5. Transfer the mixture to a warmed serving dish and serve at once.