4 small mackerel, filleted
Pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper
Juice of 1 lemon
1 chilli pepper
1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds, crushed
1. Wash the mackerel fillets and pat dry with kitchen paper. Place them on a board, skin side down, and season with salt, pepper and half the lemon juice.
2. Cut the chilli pepper in half lengthways, de-seed (wash your hands after this, and do not touch your eyes), then finely chop the flesh.
3. Scatter the chilli and coriander over the mackerel and lightly rub into the flesh of the fish. Leave for 30 minutes.
4. Pre heat the oven to gas mark 5, 375°F (190°C).
5. Lightly oil a baking dish. Close the fillets, as you would an open book, place in the baking dish, sprinkle with the remaining lemon juice and a little oil and dust with pepper.
6. Bake uncovered for 20 to 30 minutes until the fillets are cooked.