32 freshwater crayfish, cooked
4 tablespoons home-made mayonnaise
4 tablespoons fromage blanc
2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
1 tablespoon fennel or dill leaves, finely chopped, plus a few whole leaves to garnish
Mixed salad leaves: radicehio (red lettuce), spinach, sorrel, dandelion, endive, cornsalad (lamb's lettuce), Watercress (salad cress), as available
1 lemon, quartered
1. Shell the crayfish, reserving 4 intact to use as a garnish.
2. Whisk together the mayonnaise, fromage blanc, tomato ketchup and herbs to make the dressing.
3. Wash and pat dry the salad leaves and make a pretty arrangement on each of four elegant plates.
4. Arrange the shelled crayfish on the leaves and top with some of the dressing.
5. Tuck one whole crayfish into the leaves on each plate as a garnish, with a sprig or two of fennel or dill and a quarter of lemon.