serves 4 - 6
1 large marrow, about 1.4 kg (3 lb)
50 g (2 oz) butter
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
500 g (1 lb) pork sausage-meat
30 - 60 ml (2 - 4 tbsp) tomato puree
2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) dried oregano
30 ml (2 tbsp) finely chopped fresh basil
salt and freshly ground black pepper
50 g (2 oz) Cheddar cheese, grated
1. Heat the oven to 180°C (350°F) gas 4. Use a sharp knife to slice off both ends of the marrow and peel it. with a sharp-edged metal spoon, scoop out the seeds, making a cavity right through the centre.
2. To prepare the stuffing: melt half the butter over moderate heat in a large thick-bottomed frying-pan; add the finely chopped onion and half the finely chopped garlic. Saute, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes or until the onions and garlic are soft and translucent.
3. Add the sausage-meat, tomato puree, oregano, finely chopped basil and salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste, and saute, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes.
4. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the grated Cheddar cheese; spoon the sausage-meat mixture into the prepared marrow, packing it in tightly. Using the remaining butter, grease a large piece of aluminium foil and the outside of the marrow. Place the marrow in the centre of the foil. Sprinkle the remaining finely chopped garlic, and salt and freshly ground black pepper, all over the marrow. Bring the edges of the foil up and over the marrow, securing them to make a neat parcel.
5. Place the parcel on a large baking sheet. Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 1 hour or until the marrow is very tender when pierced with the point of a sharp knife and the filling is cooked.
6. Remove the baking sheet from the oven. Transfer the marrow to a large, warmed serving dish. Remove and discard the foil and serve the marrow immediately.
65 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!