4 medium or 8 small mackerel, gutted
Freshly ground black pepper
a little oil
for the sauce
Juice of 1 orange, plus 1 matchstick of rind
1 in (2.5cm) piece fresh root ginger, peeled and sliced
1 tablespoon honey, or to taste
8 sticks pink rhubarb, chopped
1. First make the sauce. In a heavy pan, warm the orange juice and matchstick of rind, the ginger and honey.
2. Add the rhubarb and simmer for 5 to 8 minutes until the fruit is soft.
3. Puree the sauce in a food processor or blender. Place it in the refrigerator until chilled through.
4. Light the barbecue (or heat the grill/broiler).
5. Wash the mackerel and pat dry with kitchen paper.
6. Make two or three diagonal slashes on both sides of each fish to allow the heat to penetrate.
7. Season inside and out with a sprinkling of pepper, brush with a little oil and place over the hot barbecue.
8. Cook for about 4 minutes on each side, depending on the distance of the rack from the fire and the size of the fish.
9. If grilling, the cooking time will be about the same.
10. The silvery skin will blister, brown and become crunchy.
11. Serve straight away with the chilled rhubarb sauce
5 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!