serves 4 - 6
1 small red pepper
1 small yellow pepper
1 small green pepper
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
5 tomatoes, skinned, deseeded and chopped (reserve any juices)
1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika (pimenton dulce)
1 bay leaf
500 g potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 cm slices
2 slices of fresh tuna, 500 g each, cut into 6 chunky pieces each
2 tablespoons parsley leaves, torn
coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
6 slices of white bread, cut into triangles extra virgin olive oil, for frying
1. Halve and deseed the red, yellow and green peppers and cut the flesh into 1 cm cubes.
2. Heat the oil in a heatproof casserole, add the onion, garlic and peppers and fry over low heat until softened but not coloured, 12 -15 minutes. Increase the heat and stir in the tomatoes and their juice. When the mixture starts to thicken, add the paprika, bay leaf, salt and pepper.
3. Stir in the potatoes and 400 ml boiling water and simmer gently for about 15 minutes until the potatoes are cooked.
4. Meanwhile, to make the fried bread, heat the olive oil in a large frying pan, add the triangles of bread and fry on both sides until golden. Remove and drain on kitchen paper.
5. Season the pieces of tuna 10 minutes before cooking. Add the tuna to the casserole and after about 30 seconds, when the underside turns pale, turn the pieces over and turn off the heat. Leave for 5 minutes.
6. Sprinkle with parsley and serve with the triangles of fried bread.
15 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!
Also see categories;Stews