1 kg (2 lb) ox heart, hard parts and sinews removed, cut into cubes
1 tbsp cooking oil
3 tbsp (1 1/2 oz) 40 g butter
2 large onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste
375 ml (12 fl oz) meat stock
2 bay leaves or lemon leaves
3 whole cloves
1/2 tsp each Mixed Spice (All Spice / Pumpkin pie spice) and grated nutmeg
2 tbsp lemon juice
4 tbsp plain flour
1. Brown meat in heated cooking oil and butter in a heavy-based saucepan.
2. Add onion and garlic and saute until onion is translucent. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Heat meat stock and add to meat together with remaining ingredients except lemon juice and flour.
4. Cover with lid, reduce heat and simmer for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender.
5. Remove bay leaves or lemon leaves and stir in lemon juice.
6. Thicken sauce with a flour and water paste.