1 lb (450g) minced beef
2 onions, chopped
1/3 cup (1 1/2 oz) 40 g flour
3/4 pt (450ml) water
2 beef bouillon cubes
2 large carrots, sliced
for the topping
7/8 cup (100 g) self-raising flour
3 tbsp (1 1/2 oz) 40 g margarine
1 oz (25g) Cheddar cheese, grated
salt and pepper
1/2 level tsp dry mustard
2 tomatoes, sliced
1. Place the minced beef in a saucepan and cook gently for 5 minutes to allow the fat to run out.
2. Add the onions and cook quickly for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
3. Add the water, crumbled bouillon cubes, salt, pepper and sliced carrots and bring to the boil, stirring constantly.
4. Reduce the heat, cover with a lid and simmer for 45 minutes.
5. Taste and check seasoning.Turn into a heatproof casserole.
6. Heat the oven to 350°F (180°C) mark 4.
7. Put the flour in a bowl, cut the margarine into small pieces and rub into the flour with the fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the cheese, salt, pepper and mustard.
8. Spoon over the top of the mince and arrange slices of tomato around the edge of the dish.
9. Sprinkle with paprika pepper. Cook in the oven for about 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown and crisp.
67 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!