Lettuce And Pea Soup, Endiviensuppe (Germany)
1 head curly endive or escarole
8 oz (250 g) fresh or frozen peas
1 3/4 pints (1 litre) chicken stock
2 medium-sized waxy potatoes
1 small onion
scant 1 oz (20 g) butter
1 tbsp oil
pinch saffron threads
salt and pepper
toasted slices of French bread
1. Bring the chicken stock to the boil, add the peas and boil gently until very tender (about 20 minutes); put them through a mouli-legumes (vegetable mill) or allow the liquid and peas to cool a little and then process in the blender in several batches.
2. Peel and dice the potatoes; peel the onion and chop very finely. Shred the well washed and dried curly endive leaves into a chiffonade.
3. Sweat the onion and endive in the butter and oil in a large saucepan until tender; add the potatoes and fry briefly, stirring.
4. Pour in the pureed peas and stock, add salt to taste and the saffron. Simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Season with a little freshly ground pepper and serve.
2 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!