Moist and spicy, pumpkin bread is a delicious tea bread with hints of cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg, as well as molasses (made from sugar cane like in rum distillation). It contains real pumpkin, along with fruit and nuts.
1 3/4 cup (200 g) plain flour (All purpose)
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp Bicarbonate of soda (Baking soda)
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/3 cup (75 g) butter
1 1/2 cup (300 g) sugar
2 tbsp molasses
8 oz (225 g) cooked pumpkin
75 ml (5 tbsp) milk
2 oz (50 g) pecans or walnuts
1/3 cup (70 g) raisins
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) gas mark 4. Grease a 23 x 12.5 cm (9 x 5 inch) loaf tin.
2. Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
3. In another bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add molasses and eggs, and beat the mixture.
4. Add pumpkin and milk and mix well. Pour the pumpkin mixture into the dry ingredients. Mix well.
5. Stir in the nuts and raisins. Pour mixture into a greased loaf tin.
6. Bake until knife inserted in middle comes out clean, about 1 hour.