1 1/2 oz (40 g) butter
1/2 oz (15 g) Parmesan cheese
1 oz (25 g) plain flour
5 fl oz (150 ml) milk
5 eggs, separated
4 oz (125 g) crab meat, fresh or frozen
2 oz (50 g) mature Cheddar cheese, grated
1. Use 1/2 oz (15 g) butter to grease a 2 pint ( 1.2 litre) souffle dish. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.
2. Melt remaining butter in a pan, add flour and cook gently for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Remove from heat, add milk and beat vigorously, until smooth. Cook for 1 minute, stirring. Cool slightly.
4. Beat in egg yolks, add crab meat, cheese and seasoning.
5. Whisk egg whites until stiff, stir a quarter of the whites into the crab mixture, then fold in the remainder with a metal spoon.
6. Pour into a souffle dish, run a knife around the dish, 1 inch (2.5 cm) from the edge.
7. Cook in a hot oven Mark 6 (200°C) 400°F for 25 to 30 minutes until well risen and golden brown.
13 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!