12 oz (320 g) spaghetti
for the sauce:
2 large ripe tomatoes
2 tbsp chopped parsley
2 large sprigs basil
4 large cloves garlic
generous pinch oregano
1 1/2 tbsp capers
16 black olives, stoned and chopped
1 dried chilli pepper
5 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
1. Heat a large saucepan of salted water in which to cook the spaghetti.
2. Make the sauce. Peel the tomatoes and chop; save all their juice and transfer both juice and tomatoes to a bowl; use half a medium-sized tin of Italian tomatoes if preferred.
3. Add the chopped parsley, the basil leaves torn into shreds, the peeled and crushed garlic cloves, the oregano, capers, the chopped olives, crumbled chilli pepper, a pinch of salt and some freshly ground pepper. Stir in the olive oil and leave to stand for a few minutes.
4. When the water comes to the boil, add the spaghetti and cook until tender but still firm.
5. Drain, add the sauce and stir. This sauce is also delicious with steamed brown rice.