1. Peel the aubergines and cut into round slices about 1/4 in (7 mm) thick. Spread these out on large plates, sprinkle liberally with salt and leave for 30 minutes on the drainer of your sink, having first tipped up the plates to enable the liquid they will release to drain off. Rinse the slices under running cold water and blot-dry thoroughly between pieces of kitchen paper.
2. Heat plenty of oil to 350°F (180°C) in the deep-fryer and fry the slices a few at a time until golden brown. If preferred, shallow-fry in hot oil, turning once.
3. Drain well, spread out on kitchen paper and sprinkle lightly with salt and freshly ground pepper. Transfer to a serving platter or individual plates.
4. Grate the garlic finely and mix with the yoghurt and a pinch of salt.
5. Spoon the yoghurt over the aubergines, decorate with parsley and serve