1 lb (450g) pork sausagemeat
salt and black pepper
1 rounded tbsp chutney
1 large cooking apple, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
14 oz (397g) packet of puff pastry, thawed
a little beaten egg (to glaze)
Heat the oven to 425°F (220°C) mark 7.
1. Put the sausagemeat in a bowl with a little freshly ground pepper, salt, chutney and apple and mix together very thoroughly.
2. Shape into a roll 13 in. (32.5cm) long with lightly floured hands.
3. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface into a rectangle 14 x 11 in. (35 x 27.5cm).
4. Place the sausagemeat down the centre of the pastry and make 6 diagonal cuts through the pastry on either side about 2 in. (5cm) apart to within 1 in. (2.5cm) of the sausagemeat.
5. Brush the edges of the pastry with beaten egg, then alternately cross the pastry strips over the sausagemeat to form a plait. Decorate with pieces of pastry.
6. Brush all over with a little beaten egg and bake in the oven for about 35 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
7. Lift it out onto a warm serving dish. Serve with gravy or home-made tomato sauce.
1 person has helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!