4 lambs hearts
for the stuffing
3/4 cup (50 g) fresh white breadcrumbs
Grated rind of half a small lemon
1 level tbsp chopped parsley
1/2 level tbsp chopped thyme
2 tbsp milk Salt and pepper
3 carrots, sliced
2 onions, chopped
2 sticks of celery, sliced
1 parsnip, diced
2 tbsp (1 oz) 25 g dripping (fat from roasted meat)
3/4 pt (450ml) water
1 beef bouillon cube (stock cube)
1 level tbsp cornflour
1. Wash the hearts thoroughly and leave to soak in salted water for 30 minutes. Use scissors or a sharp knife to remove the tubes.
2. Mix together all the stuffing ingredients in a bowl and use to fill the cavities in the hearts.
3. Heat the oven to 350°F (180°C) mark 4.
4. Place all the vegetables in the bottom of a 3 pt (1.71) heatproof casserole.
5. Melt the dripping in a frying pan and fry the hearts lightly on all sides to brown. Lift them out and place on top of the vegetables.
6. Drain any dripping from the pan, add the water and crumbled bouillon cube and bring to the boil, stirring until well blended.
7. Pour into the casserole. Cover with a lid or foil and cook in the oven for about 1 3/4 hours or until the hearts are tender.
8. Lift out the hearts and arrange on a warm serving dish with the vegetables around.
9. Blend the cornflour with a little cold water and stir into the casserole until the sauce thickens.
10. Return to the oven for 2-3 minutes to cook, then pour the sauce over the hearts.
38 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!