1.5 kg (3 lb) cleaned ox tripe
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbsp cooking oil
1 tbsp (1/2 oz) butter
2 tsp mild curry powder
1/2 tsp each aniseed and ground coriander
18 fresh pickling onions
6 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
3 potatoes, peeled and quartered
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt meat stock
2 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste
5 tsp lemon juice
4 to 6 ginger nuts, crumbed
1. Cover tripe with cold water and simmer for approximately 3 hours or until tender.
2. Drain and cut into strips.
3. Saute onion and garlic in heated cooking oil and butter in a heavy-based saucepan until onion is translucent.
4. Add curry powder, aniseed and coriander and fry for another minute.
5. Add remaining ingredients except lemon juice and biscuit crumbs. Cover with lid, reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender but still firm.
6. Add lemon juice and thicken sauce with biscuit crumbs.